Friday, February 03, 2006

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Okay, I've listened to this album a couple of times through now, and I'm still surprised that the usual suspects in the 'indie' music press have been talking up Wolf Parade so much. The best explanation I can come up with is that the band so perfectly - and generically - encapsulates what indie rock is all about at the moment; it's not that they're bad, but just that what they're doing doesn't seem especially interesting or exciting. Maybe I just don't get it, but I reckon that Apologies to the Queen Mary is basically a small handful of fairly good songs ("Shine A Light", "I'll Believe In Anything" and "This Heart's On Fire" in particular) surrounded by several more unmemorable ones, done in a style which is, to be frank, on the drab side. Perhaps I'll eat my words at some point down the line, and it must be admitted that I've never been into this kind of stuff, and I do think that it's the sort of record that will grow on me a bit over time, but even so --