Thursday, February 23, 2006

Josie and the Pussycats

Cute satire targeting the music industry and consumer culture in general; funny in places, but some of the jokes and self-referentiality get tired pretty quickly (or else weren't funny to begin with), and while I didn't resent or regret having given 100 minutes of my life to the film - it has its moments, and I do enjoy this bubblegum, cartoony, hyper-colourful type of thing - all up Josie and the Pussycats is rather too minor (I like my satire sharper and/or subtler).

Also, the whole time I was watching it, I was thinking that Josie (Rachel Leigh Cook) reminded me of someone I know (appearance-wise rather than personality-wise), but: (a) I couldn't work out who it was; and (b) I had a feeling that either (b-i) I don't like the real-life person very much, or (b-ii) I don't find the real-life person very attractive, or (b-iii) both. Strange...I wonder who I was being reminded of.