Friday, February 17, 2006

Janet Evanovich - Four To Score & High Five

Usually I'm pretty good with the self-control, but one area in which I definitely fail is the reading of genre stuff that I like (and especially late at night). Scored both of these from the city library in the course of my errand-running yesterday; the rest of my day (post-other errands and pleasant drink at Deep Dish) basically spent reading first Four, then Five (it's very possible, I fear, that I'd have got all the way through both last night had not my light bulb blown at about 4.30 in the morning, midway through the latter).

Four To Score introduces, amongst others, Sally Sweet, a giant drag queen with a facility for code-breaking which comes in useful, while High Five brings in, again amongst others, three foot tall Randy Briggs, who spends much of the novel's running time living in Stephanie's apartment, and also brings a bit of the (UR)ST with Ranger. Four is relatively weak, I think, but Five doesn't lose much by comparison to the first three - the formula is starting to show, and Evanovich repeats herself a bit, but she's also moving all of her characters into plenty of interesting configurations while not hesitating to introduce new ones or reintroduce old 'friends', and I suspect that there's still plenty of room for this series to move, especially given the number of unresolved subplots flapping around.