Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Walk The Line

Watching this film made me happy. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon both very good (singing good, acting very good) - the first film I've really liked the former in, and I think the first I've really seen the latter in - and the relationship between Cash and June Carter makes a compelling thread holding the story together (I was a bit surprised that more wasn't made of "Ring Of Fire", though the song and its writing is fairly prominent). There isn't all that much to say about Walk The Line, really - there's nothing too unexpected in it, but one never feels that it's just going through the motions in hitting the high points of that storied career and life (at least up to the point of his marriage to June), and within its chosen parameters, it basically does everything right...y'know, it just felt real. Also, I got those little chills down the back of the neck during several of the musical numbers, which has to be a good sign. Plus, the music's great, natch (Cash's own stuff, as done by Phoenix + Witherspoon belting out several numbers + period soundtrack (Dylan et al) + extra stuff composed by T Bone Burnett).