Sunday, February 05, 2006

Song of the moment: Neko Case - "Hold On, Hold On"

Over the last few days, listening to the wonderful newie from Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings The Flood (now available here but I'll also be buying it the day that it hits the stores), has, in a small way, been reminding me why I like music - it's early days yet, but I reckon that it just might be as good as Blacklisted, which means that it's pretty damn good indeed. Pretty often, though, I start to listen to the album but stall at track three, "Hold On, Hold On", finding myself hitting the replay button on it over and over.

Desert guitar chimes it in, Case starts breathlessly and undeniably with a killer couplet - "The most tender place in my heart is for strangers,/I know it's unkind but my own blood is much too dangerous" - and then the song's off, recalling Calexico's "Ballad Of Cable Hogue" in its channeling of spag-Western drama and widescreen dynamics, driving irresistibly forward on the back of a restless, tumbling melody and Case's glorious singing (the magic moment is her soaring delivery of the line "I leave the party at 3am, alone thank god", in which everything gathers itself together, briefly pauses, and then launches forwards again), cresting and subsiding and cresting again, shimmering like something in the hazy, sun-distorted distance...

Here and here.