Thursday, February 16, 2006

What I've been listening to lately

- Isobel Campbell's Amorino, rediscovered one grey evening about a week ago, lying face-down on my bed and waiting for inspiration to strike (it didn't), its wistful prettiness suiting my mood (which could probably best be described as 'moody') and falling just right in the background, especially the mournful instrumental pieces.
- Hem's Eveningland, too sweet for words.
- Fox Confessor, still, and especially "Hold On, Hold On".
- That song from the opening and closing credits of Broken Flowers, the Greenhornes' "There Is An End" (with Holly Golightly on vocals). Has that 60s garage rock simplicity and a gentle, languorous sway. Plus, the more I think about the film, the better I realise it is, and the more in key with my own current imaginative, emotional and creative whereabouts (...words disappear, words once so clear...thoughts rearrange, familiar now strange...).
- Sia's "Breathe Me", which I sneered at after my first listen, only to realise after replaying that I was being a bit of a hipster twit by reacting against the song because of how it sounded; have now taken it a bit to heart. Apparently the deal is that it played over the final scene of Six Feet Under and so immediately acquired touchstone status for the show's fans; that means nothing to me, but the song itself is kinda like Dido crossed with Tori in slow-burn ballad mode, and it really is pretty good, though I don't imagine I'll still be listening to it in a month's time.
- Taxi, Taxi's "Old Big Trees". Haven't been able to find out much about this outfit, but they're a duo, and they're from Sweden, and they've made at least this one delightful sprightly quirky indie-pop song, and on the evidence of the picture on their myspace page, they're cute as buttons, so what more could you want?
- Speaking of Swedish pop bands, the Concretes are back with a new song, "On The Radio", which is every bit as good as anything on The Concretes or boyoubetterunow - probably lighter and more delicately tripping.

(None of those last four should be too hard to track down with google, this, this, and a bit of perseverance.)