Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Kate Spade - Manners

I enjoy these little etiquette and lifestyle books - not sure why...I guess I just like to know that I know how to conduct myself! (And I like the element of codification of social norms and the slightly archaic nature of the exercise, too.) Spade, a "self-styled midwesterner", offers a light, unadorned series of observations on and advice pertaining to manners, with an eye to our modern times but basically sticking to fairly familiar territory for this kind of book. Lots of white space on each page, text in bite-sized chunks, pretty watercolour illustrations - it's no The Unfair Sex, but for what it is, it's just fine. Also, in its fairly lengthy section on communication and correspondence, includes a fuller version of one of my favourite quotations (from John Donne):

Sir, more than kisses,
Letters mingle souls;
For, thus absent friends speak.


Although, I must say, I'm still in two minds as to the aphorism's truth...

* * *

When it comes to etiquette, by the way, I'm yet to see a more delightful source of advice and edification than that provided by the Etiquette Grrls, who are, as they aver, Not To Be Trifled With.