Sunday, August 28, 2005

Tonic - Lemon Parade

Ah, late nineties radio rock...how mediocre it was. I mean, what was the point? It didn't move you, emotionally or viscerally - most of the time, the melodies weren't worth a damn and there was no real 'rock' to speak of either (slightly hypocritical though this may seem, coming from one who considered "Lightning Crashes" to be the best song ever for several years there). I remember "If You Could Only See", but I also remember that even at the time the next couple of singles were utterly unmemorable (while I'm chasing commercial radio-based memories, not too much later on, if I have this right, came Fuel and Semisonic, both of whom at least could write some catchy tunes). So anyhow, all the more so now, almost 10 years on, hardly surprising that Lemon Parade isn't much chop.