Thursday, August 25, 2005

An incomplete list of artists about whom I know almost nothing but whose albums I would probably buy for $10, and certainly for $5

- Hem (and would probably pay considerably more if it had the songs I've heard)
- Saloon
- Slumber Party (already missed one opportunity in the past due to extreme impecuniosity and not properly appreciating their probable brilliance at the time; if opportunity knocks again, will not be found wanting)
- Sam Phillips
- Whistler ("If I Give You A Smile" is still one of the best bittersweet, gently melancholy, end-of-summer sad songs I've ever heard)
- Leona Naess (but only if it had "Charm Attack")
- Julie Miller
- Helium (is one live b-side reason enough? Yes!)
- The Autumns (but would need to have "June in Her Frost and Furs")
- The Fire Show (well, probably - but I'd definitely regret it afterwards if I didn't)
- Gloss (with some trepidation, but I'd still buy it, just in case it had even one other song as good as "Lonely in Paris")

And five brilliant albums which I've bought under precisely those conditions (all $5, I think):
1. Belly - King
2. Gersey - Hope Springs
3. Azure Ray - Hold On Love
4. Eileen Rose - Long Shot Novena
5. The Dearhunters - Red Wine & Blue