Sunday, August 21, 2005

Beth Hart - Screamin' For My Supper

Not so much sub- as simply post-Alanis late 90s angsty chick rock (and you know I wouldn't use a phrase like 'chick rock' unless I really wanted to make a point), the comparison being made obvious by some none-too-occasional similarities in vocal style. There are a few good ideas in Hart's mix, but they get lost amidst the blandness of it all.

...which is possibly an overly harsh appraisal, because during the couple of times that I've spun Screamin' For My Supper, I've sometimes had the feeling that there was a bit more going on - that the album was almost breaking into something better. There are albums that I feel might well prove more rewarding if I persevered with them for a bit longer, but the fact of the matter is that life's too short (and there's too much music out there) to invest that much time in all of the records which might, but probably wouldn't, benefit from determined repeat spinning.