Thursday, August 18, 2005

Music from the motion picture Magnolia

Have actually listened to this record before, but a few years ago, before I completely fell in love with Aimee Mann. Coming back to it now, I find that I already know a lot of the songs (whether via their subsequent inclusion on Bachelor No 2 or through other channels), and have been prompted to wonder if maybe "Wise Up", and not "Save Me", is her best song (both are on this album); also, "Driving Sideways" is better than I'd recalled. (Oh yeah, and I don't know anything about Supertramp, having always had the impression that they were sort of bland middle of the road 70s pop-ites, but the two songs of theirs that are on this soundtrack are pretty good.)

I also enjoyed reading P.T. Anderson's liner notes about the relationship between Mann's music and the film; it begins, "I sat down to write an adaptation of Aimee Mann songs. Like one would adapt a book for the screen, I had the concept of adapting Aimee's songs into a screenplay". Makes me want to watch Magnolia again, yo, having had mixed feelings about it the first time around (which was before I was familiar with Mann's music at all).