Sunday, August 14, 2005

Iain Sinclair - White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings

I struggled a bit with the complexity and mysticism of this one. It starts promisingly, introducing a quartet of grotesque, almost Peakean antique/secondhand book dealers and the cast of misfits and nasties whose demi-monde they inhabit, but then gets very confusing as it spins off two more major storylines, one set in early to mid nineteenth century London and tracing out a Jack the Ripper theory, many of the outlines of which were broadly familiar to me thanks to From Hell, the other following a pair of peculiar investigators in contemporary times who are trying to unravel the mystery of those Whitechapel murders. I must confess that I didn't really 'get' it. The secondary source in the subject reader made things clearer, and I'll probably return to this book at some stage (if most likely not this semester) to give it a more attentive, committed reading.