Saturday, August 25, 2007

Bob Dylan @ Rod Laver Arena, Sunday 19th August

I didn't have high expectations for this show - given the likely preponderance of new stuff and the probability that any old ones would be drastically reinterpreted, I expected it to be solid, nothing more...but I went anyway (a) just in case and (b) because it's Bob Dylan, man!

Anyhow, it was basically exactly as I expected - I didn't know all that many of the songs he played, and the classics that he did do ("Don't Think Twice, It's Alright", "Just Like A Woman", "Highway 61 Revisited") were basically flattened out and lacked the sheer pure thread which runs through each in their original recorded/lp cuts. Also, the sound quality kinda sucked.

On the plus side, there was an excellent banjo song near the middle which I would guess is called "Blind Willie McTell" or something similar and was the highlight, the band was very good - and, of course, it was Bob Dylan there on stage, singing his songs. Not a great concert experience by any stretch of the imagination - I actually found myself drifting in and out in patches, thinking about other things - but I'm glad I went.

(w/ Kevin)