Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"Art for Science" @ Nellie Castan Gallery, 26 July 2007

A 'champagne preview' of works donated by Australian artists to raise money for the Murdoch Institute, where my dad works (which is how I heard about it). I'm not especially wired into the art scene so wasn't familiar with many of the artists, but recognised a Bill Henson straight off as I walked in. Others which caught my eye:

(Three photographs:)

* "Tuesday 28th March 2006 (Fremantle)" - Matthew Sleeth. Probably my favourite: a sports ground at night, nearly all dark, a thin row of middle distance house-lights across the central horizontal band - the horizon - of the photo, broken up by some tall standing trees, one bright overhead light blazing cryptically near the centre. It speaks to me - there's something strong and real to it.
* "Blue City, India" - Sonia Payes. Mysterious ruined-looking walled city, like some conquistador's hazy early-morning dream.
* "I Did It For You" - Jane Burton. A woman on all fours, in silhouette, seen from outside through a cross-framed window and delicate lace curtain - black and white, of course...it's striking.

(A couple of others:)

* "The Wall and the Bubbler's Shadow" - Jeff Martin. Just an oil painting, green park bench against red wall, all rough. But there's something very appealing about it, I don't really know what. A sort of heightened familiarity maybe; the barest hint of the uncanny.
* "Ever" - Angela Brennan. I wasn't actually mad about this one, though I liked it well enough. The main thing which struck me about it was how compositionally Rothko-esque the piece is; that said, it lacks (and possibly doesn't aspire towards) the vividity of MR's work - a common theme with the more non-representational pieces in this show, incidentally, when compared to their most obvious antecedents.