Saturday, August 11, 2007

Echoes of Home

About ten minutes into this, a documentary about contemporary yodelling, I found myself trying to remember why I'd thought it would be a good idea to watch it - not in an 'oh my god this is terrible' way, but more in a bemused 'no really, what was I actually thinking' kind of vein...whether this was before, during, or after the yodellers wearing the creepy masks and model houses/villages on their heads, I'm not entirely sure.

Enjoyed it, anyway - it was a good way to kick off my Sunday, and I left smiling. Focused on three musicians, all Swiss and all pushing the envelope of yodelling in one way or another - a Stuart Murdoch type named Christian Zehmer (I think), Noldi, an older fellow who comes from a famous yodelling family (the Alders) but has, with his violin, struck out on a more experimental path (not entirely to the pleasure of his relatives, one gathers from the interviews with them), and a messily bohemian type whose name escapes me (a woman) - and plays the inherent quirkiness of its subject more or less with a straight bat.

(Preceded by a 30-minute short, Katoomba, about small town anomie, friendship, escape, and circumstances - pretty cliché, but pretty nice, too, highlighted by some spectacular scenery.)

(w/ Tamara)