Sunday, August 20, 2006

Reading list

The piles of books 'to be read' arranged around my room have been out of control for some time. Here are all the ones (fiction only) I've been able to round up, vaguely in the order that I think I might eventually read them:
The Magus - John Fowles
Mason & Dixon - Thomas Pynchon
A First Omnibus - Ivy Compton-Burnett
The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
Real People - Alison Lurie
Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard - Kiran Desai
Tales of the Jazz Age - F Scott Fitzgerald
Birthday Stories selected and introduced by Haruki Murakami
The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot
The Waves - Virginia Woolf
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
The Bark Tree - Raymond Queneau
Strait is the Gate - André Gide

Also, three that I'm really keen to read but haven't yet accumulated:
What I Loved - Siri Hustvedt
The Accidental - Ali Smith
Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl

Also-also, now that he's been installed as the bookmakers' favourite for the Booker after the announcement of the long list last week and all, something by David Mitchell (turns out that I had heard of one of his books before after all - Cloud Atlas); read some bits and pieces of two of his earlier novels while killing time on Brunswick St before brunch this morning, and they looked alright.

Plus, The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard, which is next up for the ACs' book club (happily, the only one on this round's short list that I really wanted to do).

And, as of last weekend, am the proud owner of the Oxford complete works of Shakespeare...but I won't be reading that one cover to cover any time soon!