Saturday, August 25, 2007

cd86: 49 tracks from the birth of indie pop

Early indie pop classics and forgotten gems, spanning the years '84 through to '87 - jangle, fuzz, melody and 'plaint (I know, not a word - but it oughta be), c86 stuff obviously, and for the most part proudly wearing its influences on its collective sleeve. Double cd set - deliciously packaged and filled to the rafters with quality, most of it new to me though of course I know the sound and the attitude.

Faves: Primal Scream - "Velocity Girl", the Clouds - "Get Out Of My Dream", the Raw Herbs - "He Blows In", the Hit Parade - "You Didn't Love Me Then", Close Lobsters - "Just Too Bloody Stupid", Meat Whiplash - "Don't Slip Up", the Darling Buds - "If I Said", the Mighty Lemon Drops - "Like An Angel", and of course shining unimpeachable cuts from Talulah Gosh and the Jesus and Mary Chain.