Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Killers - Hot Fuss

Inspired to buy this by Sam's Town, which has improved with repeated listening though I think the appreciation curve has levelled out by now. I realised while listening to Hot Fuss the first couple of times that I'd already prospectively caricatured the album, expecting it all to be glossy straight-ahead unsubtle stadium-aspiring quasi-indie rock (in the words of one of their songs, glamorous indie rock & roll) - like Sam's Town except less polished and expansive (not that that latter is the height of subtlety itself). Said expectations prove to be not far off the mark, but even so I like this album; apart from the radio singles, I particularly enjoy the most OTT ones - 'forementioned "Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll" and also "Midnight Show" (mainly because of its chorus) come to mind. Also enjoyed finally getting to hear the infamous 'I got soul but I'm not a soldier' line.