Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Jens Lekman - Oh you're so silent Jens

Of the songs on the 'music for the masses' cd, easily the one that the most people have picked up on is "Black Cab"; I'd been thinking about picking up the cd for a while, but in the end what tipped me into it was the everyone telling me how much they liked that song. Oh you're so silent Jens is a collection of previously released material - eps and singles - and, when I was listening to it for the first time (a late night at work, last week - not a particularly conducive environment for music listening or emotional responses), it gave me a surprising and tingly case of the sads for a few minutes. Most of it's not as brazen as "Black Cab" - it tends much towards the quieter end of things, soft, gentle, things whispered with simple melodies and a light touch - but I do like it.