Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Killers - Sam's Town

This is the story of Howard and the Killers.

First, heard "Somebody Told Me" on the radio. Over and over. Thought it was catchy but kinda dumb.

Then, heard "Mr Brightside". Thought it was excellent.

Was told that the Killers were now one of the biggest bands in the world. Decided that I felt a lot better about this than I would about a lot of the other candidates.

A gap.

Heard the new Killers song on the radio a few times, the one with the lyric that goes "he doesn't look a thing like Jesus". Thought it was okay and all, but whatever.

Kept reading about how the new album was all Springsteen and stuff.

Last Saturday night, doing nothing in particular at home, got it into my head that I wanted to own the new one, immediately. Put Born in the U.S.A. on to inspire myself then went out and got the album.

Was initially a bit underwhelmed by it. More U2 than Springsteen, really (exhibit A: "Read My Mind"). But have kept listening to it, not forcing myself but rather enjoying it. So it's growing on me - the anthems aren't as anthemic as I would like (and let's face it, why would I listen to a band like the Killers if not for the anthems?) but they're pretty good still. Yeah, it feels like the band might've overreached themselves a little bit but Sam's Town is pretty good.