Sunday, September 24, 2006

Feist - Let It Die

This is what I wrote about Let It Die a couple of weeks ago:

David lent me this album, and I was thinking about why he seems to like it so much more than I do. So here's what I think: it's somehow related (not necessarily by a straight cause and effect) to the fact that the [at this point, I was going to insert something about the idealised pop star version of his girl friends collectively, based on my impressions of them, being far more likely to be something Feist-esque than that of mine].

Which is not to say that I don't like
Let It Die - I do. But I'm much less charmed by it than a lot of people seem to be.

But, as time has gone on, the album has kept doing just enough for me to listen to it again, and again, and slowly those charms have properly revealed themselves. For someone who likes the kind of music that I do, I sure can be awfully suspicious of tweeness, but Let It Die has won me over, its delicate lounge-pop-soul (as to that last, "One Evening" and "Inside and Out" were important steps in falling a bit for the album, and are possibly my two favourites) stylings working the trick. Very consistent record, too - no troughs to speak of. Like it, at last.