Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Current soundtracks

Music of the moment is, in many respects, all of a piece. In particular, we're talking Neil Young (mostly On The Beach but also lots of After The Gold Rush), Wilco (especially Kicking Television and Summerteeth), and that pair of great late 90s R.E.M. records, New Adventures In Hi-Fi and Up (their best two albums, I reckon), as well as, to a lesser extent, bits of Gram and Emmylou (together and separately),[*] the Sundays and Big Star. (Also, "Elevator Love Letter", "Hold On, Hold On" and "There Is An End".)

It's not necessarily that I've been listening to all of those particularly much (though in most cases I have been), but more that it's the music which just feels as if it's drifting in the air around me right now.

* * *

[*] Speaking of whom, this is a good article with whose subject-matter I identified a bit.