Monday, June 27, 2005

Wonderful Days

Another anime (though Korean, I think), another post-apocalyptic world...to be fair, I ought to note that the animation was pretty spectacular, and some of the imagery effective (the early shot of the struts supporting a part of the city-structure, resembling the fossils of some giant extinct beast, was a good one, for example); however, while the story and characterisations weren't particularly poor, they were on the generic side, and there wasn't quite enough there in the visual/visceral stakes to carry me past caring about that lack (though it got close when Shua's glider and the insurrectionists' truck were converging along their respective paths in the closing stages)...the extended cut-out sequences were interesting (I think there were two, or maybe three - the only one I can bring to mind now is that of the dancer against the hallucinogenic backdrops) but rather pointless, I thought. All of that said, I didn't notice my attention flagging at any stage, which suggests that Wonderful Days largely gets the job done.