Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Bram Stoker's Dracula

I didn't adore this film even back in the days when I was pretty heavily fixated on vampires, Winona Ryder and Gary Oldman, so I was curious about how I'd respond to it this time round, probably about six or seven years on and with all of those preoccupations having since largely passed; the answer, it turns out, is 'much the same'. It still looks fantastic, and has a definite air of gravity to it, but conversely it's still oddly uninvolving, and possessed of a tendency to tip into OTT-ness (Gary Oldman is a great actor, but some of the scenes are just too much even for him to carry off this side of ham). Also, Keanu Reeves is as bad as I recalled, though I'm more willing this time round to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that he was at least attempting to come across as mannered. Maybe what's missing is a real sense of the sinister - this film doesn't feel haunted in the way that it should, a hauntedness that should be heightened by the sympathetic portrayal of Dracula himself.