Monday, June 27, 2005

Wiskey Biscuit - Wiskey Biscuit

I'd heard opening cut "Santa Ana Delta Blues" before, and liked it, but it misled me as to what the album would be like. In all, this is a kind of retro-sounding rock record, but apart from the brilliance of the aforementioned swampy stomp of its opener, there is, variously, Weezer-esque power-pop ("Mom Song"), "Sunday Morning"-vibing indie ("Stonergirl"), psych/prog noodling ("Hidin' In My Kitchen"), 'no depression'-styled country-rock ("Trailerpark Sweetheart"...well, the title's a bit of a giveaway, I s'pose, but the song itself is one of the better moments on the record) and plenty else into the bag, too, including various none-too-exciting takes on the blues-rock thing. It's not that this is a bad album, exactly, but I expected it to be much bluesier and much more fun.