Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Rough Guide To Bluegrass

Another genre compilation, featuring both contemporary and older artists...much banjo, mandolin, and twangy singing. It's interesting to hear all of these songs alongside each other - makes me realise that there's often not a great deal of difference between 'bluegrass' recorded thirty or forty years ago and today. I'm not sure how far I need to go into this music, though (looking beyond this particular disc) - although it's very easy to listen to as background, I often don't find the songs to be especially rewarding on close listening, and have a feeling that I'm not likely to get into bluegrass in a big way at this point in my life, beyond maybe a handful of relatively modern acts working at the margins of the genre. Maybe the truth is that unless it's sad it doesn't speak to me.