Sunday, June 05, 2005

Audrey Auld - Losing Faith

I basically like this album, but it leaves me a bit in two minds. In part, I think that this is because the record is mildly schizophrenic - the shifts from track to track are jarring at times, and there's perhaps too much diversity for one album - which may be more a sequencing issue than anything else, but still affects my enjoyment of the music; also, there are points at which Auld becomes a bit predictable, and these cul-de-sacs further disrupt the flow of the whole. Both of those criticisms lead me to think that perhaps Auld hasn't yet really found her voice (or hadn't - she may've put out another album since this one), and while Losing Faith is a pleasant rather than particularly distinguished entry in the 'new country' genre, there are enough good songs on it to suggest that Auld oughtn't to be written off yet, either.