Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Sheridan Le Fanu - In A Glass Darkly

Scanning my bookshelves and stacks looking for something to read several nights ago (must've been a fortnight or so past), I came across this (I bought it for one of my lit subjects a few years back - "The Victorian Supernatural", I'm guessing - but only skimmed it at the time). Le Fanu was an Irish writer of the 19th century, best known for his supernatural tales, and I get the sense that he more than half believed the mystical gibberish regarding third eyes, inner senses, spirit realms and so on which form the shape of at least three of the five stories in In A Glass Darkly. The stories are about hauntings, and the only one which I remembered reasonably clearly - "Carmilla", which I read back in the day because it has some notoriety as an early lesbian vampire story - is the most atypical in being clearly supernatural. It's much more Le Fanu's style - at least on the evidence of these stories - to leave some doubt as to whether a supernatural or 'rational' explanation is more accurate (much like James's "Turn of the Screw"), an ambiguity heightened by the quasi-scientific rationalisations proposed in relation to the hauntings by various of his characters. They're fun to read, though, their elegantly unsettling effect enhanced by the 'period' nature of the writing.