Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Salyu/Takeshi Kobayashi - Kokyu (music from All About Lily Chou-Chou)

This is the disc made up of music ostensibly by Lily Chou-Chou (performed by a singer named Salyu). The music itself is surprisingly difficult to describe - it's basically pop-electronica, I guess, though not entirely cut adrift from more organic sounds, generally tending towards the drifty/ethereal though at times breaking into soaring choruses and getting downright noisy in other places (sort of Julee Cruise-esque). Overall, the record's a bit uneven, and feels more like a collection of individual songs than an album proper, but I'm liking it. "Kaifuku Suru Kizu" is by a long way my favourite track, and I'm not sure how much I would like the rest of the songs were they not so closely connected with the film - but then that conditional is hardly relevant, is it? The fact is that those connections are there, and my experience of the music is correspondingly enriched.