Monday, May 23, 2005

Arabesque: All About Lily Chou-Chou - Original Soundtrack

I simply haven't been able to get this film out of my head - I've seen a lot of really good films lately, but All About Lily Chou-Chou may well be the best of them, or at least the most compelling. I don't know why it's gotten so deeply stuck inside me - normally my cinematic tastes run to the pretty/beautiful or the quirky/stylishly dark, and I don't think that Lily Chou-Chou is really any of those things (though you could make a case for all of them, albeit in a somewhat unconventional fashion)...I'm a bit afraid to watch it again, lest the magic be lost.

Debussy is well represented, as one would expect; the selections' lightness/dream-heaviness fits perfectly. Elsewhere there's some other piano music (delicate and pretty), the song performed by the students in the film, the mournful folk dirge intoned by the guides on the boys' island trip, and various incidental stuff...all extremely listenable, especially when tied to my impressions of the film it accompanies.