Monday, May 23, 2005

O Sister! The Women's Bluegrass Collection

A nice little collection, though not an inspirationally good one. It was put out by Rounder, which is apparently quite a well-established roots music label, and holds pretty much the sort of music you'd expect it to, based on its title. As I'm very much a bluegrass neophyte, I can't attest to the 'authenticity' of the cuts (always an important consideration!), but I have my doubts given that they don't, for the most part, feel particularly old-timey...

None of the individual songs really stand out (I tend to listen to the disc as a whole, anyway), and to these pop music-conditioned ears there's not a great deal of variation, particularly tempo-wise, but the Alison Krauss cut, "Every Time You Say Goodbye", left an impression thanks to her wonderful voice, and the melodies of several of the others have gotten into my head. Incidentally, when I stopped to think about it, I had a quiet giggle at the song titles: "Sad Situation", "True Life Blues", "You Tried To Ruin My Name", "Blow, Big Wind", "Comin' Down From God", and so on...comes with the territory, I guess!