Friday, May 11, 2018

NGV

Encounters during an NGV visit earlier in the week, some sought out and others not.

The blue Soulages and red Rothko, both of which I've spent plenty of time with in the past, now installed side by side: 


Alongside them and stunning in its own right, but even better in context, an Yves Saint Laurent ensemble (1976-77, Operas Ballets Russes collection):


A bit of time with Richard Mosse's "Incoming" (2014-17), which I didn't get a good look at as part of the Triennial (I was also pleased to see that the Paulina Olowska "Painter" which I liked so much seems to be a permanent acquisition by the NGV - still on display), which had some power to it:


And, on adjacent corners to each other (I'm sure there's a word for that), two video works that, in their slowness, deliberately recall photography, Yvonne Todd's "Denim seagull" (2013, also incorporating seagull sounds) and Gianfranco Foschino's "Apartments" (2012).