Sunday, May 13, 2018

The World's End

So I reckon I have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction against British comedy, at least in film/tv (maybe not so much in literature, given Pratchett, Douglas Adams etc), which is maybe why I wasn't red hot on either Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz when I saw them - though both have grown in my opinion since, including through miscellaneous seeings of bits and pieces on tv - whereas the thoroughly North American-feeling (Canadian and American respectively) Scott Pilgrim and Baby Driver were both big, immediate yeses for me.

Edgar Wright's the unifying director there, though he's shared writing credits with various others, including Simon Pegg for this so-called Cornetto trilogy, and his zippiness is amply present in The World's End, across pacing, cutting and fight scenes (and musical bits). There seems to be more seriousness here than in Shaun or Fuzz in the way it tackles the toxic effects of (men) not growing up, and the cast is good fun (I liked that Walder Frey popped up) but it rushes along at a good clip. Primal Scream prominent. Bill Nighy present through voice only.