Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Avengers: Age of Ultron & Infinity War

I have a funny relationship with these Marvel superhero films. I'd thought I'd seen most of them but an actual count suggests I've actually only seen about half, not quite in sequence: Iron Man (though it doesn't seem to have made it onto extemporanea, so maybe I only saw it in bits and pieces on tv), Thor, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, and now these two. I do enjoy epics and spectacle and - as far as I can tell - am happily unhampered by any kind of snobbery about the genre/industry, so it's surprising that I'm not more into these, but somehow they haven't captured my imagination.

Anyway so both Age of Ultron and Infinity War are neatly put together and I didn't find myself bored at any point while watching them (although there were definitely points in the latter where I couldn't remember where one set of characters or another had gotten to while the film was focusing on others across its dispersed range of characters and settings), in the end I don't feel like I cared very much about anything that happened in either film - and this despite having had at least some prior-film derived investment in the characters and a seriously high quality bunch of actors (Chris Hemsworth continues to be very funny as Thor, Scarlett Johansson is impressively straight and immersed in her not-particularly-nuancedly-characterised character of Black Widow, etc).