Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Sarah Blasko - Depth of Field

I've thought for a while that Sarah Blasko is right on the verge of greatness, since around I Awake I reckon, and this latest hasn't shifted me on that; if anything, it makes me feel she's inched even closer.

Depth of Field is a confident-feeling outing, musically outgoing (crisp, often brassy - at least by Blasko's understated standards - arrangements) and lyrically introspective (the words sung clearly and given room to breathe), and there isn't really a one song that stands out for me, though "A Shot" comes closest, and "Everybody Wants To Sin" is notable for the way it channels Goldfrapp (especially in the bridge), "Making It Up" for its anger, and several others for their extreme lusciousness of both sound and melody (e.g. "Savour It", "Read My Mind").