Monday, March 05, 2018

"Unfinished Business: Perspectives on Art and Feminism" (ACCA)

This one was worth seeing but I don't think it was one of ACCA's better exhibitions of recent times, even allowing that the themed ones are probably trickier to nail than the individual artist shows.

Linda Dement - "Feminist methodology machine" (2016)

I think the main problem for me was that 'feminism' is a huge topic and there wasn't any obvious coherence to this exhibition's take on it, although most of the pieces did reflect a reasonably critical engagement with feminism itself. The other thing, I have to say, is that I didn't think many of the individual works were particularly strong. (I wondered if this was a failure of understanding or sympathy on my part, but Cass had the same take.)

Sandra Hill - "Home-maker #9: The hairdresser" (2014)

One aspect that did interest me was the way the various works engaged with aesthetics and conventionally appealing presentation (imagery, colours etc) in conveying their messages - some drawing heavily on forms designed to draw in the viewer (with expectations then sometimes being subverted), others aggressively raw and unappealing to look at.

Clare Rae - untitled action for ACCA (2017)

My two favourites were a series of six of Clare Rae's 'actions', undertaken and photographed at ACCA itself - I really like the NGV ones and these are ace too - and Shevaun Wright's sobering "The rape contract", made up indeed of a several pages of 'rape contract' in very convincing legalese - apt given the power of the law/state in relation to rape and its victims - with invisible ink annotations from a victim's perspective that shows up under the torches accompanying the piece (for that one, 'favourite' probably isn't the word so much as 'most affecting').

Shevaun Wright - "The rape contract" (2016)

Also Linda Dement's three-screen video installation "Feminist methodology machine", which reminded me of Revolt. She Said, Revolt Again and the quasi-surtitles that blared on screens in the transitions between its scenes, and Sandra Hill's simple but piercing 'hairdresser' collage-referencing painting.

(w/ Cass)