Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964-1971

It was "Sympathy for the Devil" that did it, heard recently in a movie I think, putting them back into my mind beyond my everlasting love for "Paint It Black" and, from childhood and teen radio background, familiarity-unfortunately-to-the-verge-of-contempt with most of their other big songs. This is a best-of covering their golden years so of course it's great.

I'd heard all of these before, but the discoveries, such as they are - songs that I only vaguely knew, maybe wouldn't have been able to identify them by now, and now know are (a) by the Rolling Stones and (b) great - are "Play With Fire", "Ruby Tuesday", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Gimme Shelter".

Another discovery: many of their songs that I hadn't heard before sound kind of like the Kinks.