Sunday, January 27, 2013

"I sometimes lose my faith in luck / I don't know what I want to be when I grow up": Brandi Carlile - Bear Creek

A likeably diverse alt-countryish record, Carlile doing well with a full gamut of country-folk-rock singer-songwriter styles: contemporary nu-grass ("Keep Your Heart Young"), stormy rockers ("Raise Hell"), pretty Patty Griffin / Dixie Chicks-styled ballads ("That Wasn't Me", "What Did I Ever Come Here For"), melodic modern country-pop ("100", "Rise Again"), warm Rosanne Cash-ish folk-tinged anthems ("In The Morrow"); though then again there's "I'll Still Be There", one of the highlights, which really mainly sounds like Brandi Carlile. (I've kind of dipped in and out of Carlile's songbook in the past, hearing a few songs from her debut and rather liking next lp The Story, but haven't kept up since.)