Thursday, January 03, 2013

Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest

Timing is so important. Welch became one of my favourites during that period when I was discovering her music, 2004-05ish, and all of her records to that point, Soul Journey, Time (The Revelator), Hell Among the Yearlings and Revival, really resonated. Then, finally, in 2011 came The Harrow & The Harvest, which I bought almost straight away but still, after more than a year of listening on and off, hasn't spoken to me in the same way as those others. It's a fine record, and in much the same way that Time (The Revelator) in particular is, but it seems that I just haven't been as attuned to Welch's and Rawlings' alluring take on roots/americana as I was back then - perhaps its time will come again, and with it a fuller appreciation of this one.