Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Music in moments

On the tram, coming home today through Carlton, "Mike Mills" by Air came up on my ipod, and it was like it dropped me straight back into the past - specifically 2004, when I was listening to Talkie Walkie and especially that song. I don't have any strong specific associations or memories associated with the song - the nearest is a faint recollection of Penny, or maybe it was Kate B, remarking that it sounded like a music box, the snippet of conversation snap-frozen for some reason - but those opening chimes really took me straight back with a startling vividity...

* * *

This is a bit different, but I had another sharp, piquant music experience on the weekend - caught drifting slightly aimlessly in the city (unusual in these time-poor times), Francoise Hardy's "Ce Petit Coeur" came on and was immediately the perfect song for that very moment; as music does, it soundtracked and at the same time coalesced the moment itself.