Friday, July 31, 2009

The Flaming Lips @ Festival Hall, Wednesday 29 July

Much fun! It wasn't the life-changing experience that the '04 BDO set apparently was for lots of those who went that time round, but it certainly was a Show - giant balloons, confetti, animal costumes, lights and projections and all...also, some pretty good songs. It would've been hard not to get swept up in the general good vibes - and I had no compunction about going with it - but I must say (at risk of being a spoilsport), I would've liked it more if the music had been more of a focus. The highlight for me would have to've been "She Don't Use Jelly", reminding me what a monster of a song it is - it's also the one, along with "Yoshimi", which carries the biggest nostalgic charge for me.

(Support - Midnight Juggernauts. Pretty good.)

(w/ M; lots of others around too but hooking up proved somewhat impracticable till after show)