Wednesday, July 08, 2009

"The Man From Mukinupin" (MTC)

I thought this one was a bit of a mess. Assuming that the production is faithful to the written play, the fault must rest principally with the latter, I think - it's wildly uneven and never coalesces into anything more (the first half, in particular, simply crawls). I was unconvinced by the magic realist elements, and equally so by the apparent attempts at weaving in strands of something Shakespearean or comparably lofty (even, of course, leaving aside the deliberately dreadful performance-within-the-play of Desdemona's death in "Othello"), and likewise by the unexplained fluctuations in tone and style.

[17.3.13 note - part of an MTC subscription with Steph, Sunny & co (though I have a feeling that I might've seen this one by myself, having had to change my date)]