Sunday, July 19, 2009

More on Hidden Hands

Hidden Hands is pretty much the only thing I've listened to over the last week - even picking up the new Wilco and Sarah Blasko records, news of an upcoming Aimee Mann tour, and my ongoing recent Jolie Holland infatuation, haven't shaken that - and the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate how spectacularly good it is.

Like all really good albums, it grows with each listen, and over repeated spins, different songs and streams within it come to prominence. I still can't get enough of the pulsating, slashing "I Am Going But I Am Not Gone" [previously], or of the two similarly mid-to-fast-paced rockers which precede it and kick off the album, "Mother's Desk" and "Fear Is Like A Forest"; yesterday, running a few errands in town in the chill morning sunshine, the epic, ballad-like "It Must Come Through" hit me between the eyes, and that's the one that I've been listening to loud since, including right now. Wicked!

Jen Cloher.