Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Anna & Alphaville

Rang in MIFF this year with these two, Saturday and Sunday nights. They're part of the Anna Karina retrospective (as a matter of fact, she was up on stage saying a few words before and after each), though as it happens, she wasn't the main reason why I saw either; I'm still quite giddily infatuated with Godard and was keen to see Alphaville on a big screen [previously], and I was really drawn to Anna (which isn't one of his) by the program description of it, which suggested that it would be all frothy, colourful, romantic, Gainsbourg-scored Paris-in-the-60s whimsy. Indeed, though she's been a big part of my Godard experience (as, I suppose, she must be for everyone's Godard experience), she's never specifically registered with me before.

Seeing these two back to back has highlighted two things: (1) she really is only a moderate actor; and (2), despite (1), she's a spectacular movie star. In Anna, she's terribly affected (although arguably that's consonant with the mood of the film as a whole); in Alphaville, as elsewhere, she's wonderfully inscrutable and utterly compelling, just as she was in Bande à part, Made in U.S.A. and Vivre sa vie.

It almost goes without saying, I enjoyed both, though Alphaville very much more than Anna.



(Anna w/ Steph and Nicolette; Alphaville w/ Steph, Kai and Ruth)