Monday, May 11, 2009

The Very Best of Dolly Parton

There was a time, a few years back, when Misty was my favourite city bar; I'm not sure, but I think I might have settled on that opinion after dropping by for an hour or so one night to hear first the tail end of the Lost in Translation soundtrack and then Dolly Parton's Jolene, two albums which possibly have more in common that one would at first think, though I'm damned if I can say how. Anyway, the point is that I have warm feelings about Dolly - easy as it is to make fun of her, she has real talent, and a sheaf of great songs, written and sung by her, to prove it. This compilation touches upon the high points of her career (or, at least it seems that way, for fondness notwithstanding, my interest in her music has always been incidental and glancing rather than in any way profound), and it veers more towards the 'countrypolitan' side of things than is particularly my taste, but so be it. It's still pretty darn listenable.