Saturday, May 16, 2009

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

Mmm, Camera Obscura are really becoming rather good. I've listened to Let's Get Out Of This Country a lot (I've particularly taken to heart the glistening title track, and, as is so often the way with songs with which we fall in love, one part in particular, namely the hook on the line "you can convince me I am pretty"), and the seemingly uniformly positive reviews that greeted My Maudlin Career only whetted my appetite for what turns out to be another record jam-packed with goodies. It's essentially the same kind of high-gloss, brightly yearning indie-orchestral pop as that which made their last so good; I like it very much.

Early(ish) favourites: opening number "French Navy" ("spent a week in a dusty library, waiting for some words to jump at me...") and nagging-in-a-good-way "Swans".