Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Emiliana Torrini @ the Forum, Tuesday 18 November

I haven't listened to much of Torrini's stuff - really only Fisherman's Woman, though I noticed the other night that I also have Love in the Time of Science on my ipod, without being entirely sure how it got there - and this show turned out to be pleasingly both as I expected and a bit different again; in amongst the glistening, folksy, quasi-lullaby type tunes that I really associate her with (which made up a solid half or so of the set - of those, "Today Has Been Okay" particularly stood out), there was a variety of more electronic and even rock-edged numbers, many of which provided the show's highlights. Torrini herself was charming, too, telling stories in a pronounced Icelandic lilt (often with a liberal dose of profanity), giggling, and generally engaging the audience between songs.

So, mm, it was nice; among other things, it's left "Nothing Brings Me Down" in my head for much of today.

(I didn't get the name of the support act, but they weren't bad - modestly epic indie chamber-rock in the vein of Gersey.)

(w/ Michelle)