Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Y Tu Mamá También

This really took me by surprise. Steph pressed it on me a while back, and I was sceptical - nothing I'd heard about it particularly suggested that I would enjoy the film. (Two teenage boys go on road trip with older woman; prospect of sex and self-discovery; set in Mexico; ho hum.) In fact, though, from the cheeky opening scene through the depiction of the trip up to its climax (so to speak), and then on to the film's subtle and affecting epilogue, it offers a genuine journey. It's one of those pieces of art which just has something about it - it doesn't seem especially profound, but then again, maybe it is, you know? (It's quite straightforward in a lot of ways, but is somehow at once poetically economical and thoroughly earthy.) In any case, I liked Y Tu Mamá También very much.