Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A M Hammacher - Magritte

There are two main parts to this coffee table book - an introductory overview of Magritte's work (headings: "Magritte's Lucid Dreams", "The Problem of Magritte's Titles", "Magritte and the Linguists", " 'Unthought-like Thoughts' " and "The Hidden Affinity Between Magritte and Coleridge") and then 40 colour plates with analysis...I enjoyed the second part more, but then obviously most of the point of reading these books is to look at the pictures. This one spans the whole of his career and has a fair few that I hadn't seen before, and I was interested to see that some of his early stuff was quite stormy and expressionistic (eg, "The Birth of the Idol") and I was also taken by the ominous "The Huntsmen on the Edge of Night" (neither of which I can find online) from the relatively early days. Here are a couple that I already knew but which are still too great for words ("Time Transfixed" and "The Tomb of the Wrestlers"):



(also)