Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Carla Bruni - No Promises

Sometimes our friends just come through for us. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading about this album online somewhere; I'd heard of Carla Bruni before and had a vague idea that she was one of those old-sounding new chaunteuse types; I initially shuddered at the idea of anyone setting poems by Yeats, Auden, and others to music and laying them down on an album; but the review, while acknowledging the substantial 'hmmm' factor associated with the concept, was glowing about the record itself, so I was intrigued to hear it, not least because it included readings of two poems each by Dorothy Parker and Emily Dickinson (two of my fave poet types, of course); and lo, without any presaging, a cd arrived in the mail from Michelle holding a whole bunch of stuff - including, most fortuitously, No Promises. So yes, it's pretty good - chanteuse-y stuff with expected lounge influences and also a folksy, adult-contemporary-alt-countryish flavour which I like. It's nice.